Prince Philip had a surgery last month for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital.
After ailing for months, Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, passed away at the age of 99, Buckingham Palace has announced. The prince had been admitted to King Edward VII's hospital in central London for a month before leaving on March 16, according to BBC.
"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle," said the palace, as per BBC. The Duke of Edinburgh was the longest-serving consort in British history, and his family is in mourning currently. The couple got married in 1947, five years before the Queen took up her role as the monarch.
"It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh... Further announcements will be made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss," the palace added, as per Reuters. They were married for 74 years of marriage during which they had four children, eight grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he "inspired the lives of countless young people," according to BBC. He added, "Prince Philip earned the affection of generations here in the United Kingdom, across the Commonwealth, and around the world."
Other prominent individuals also expressed their condolences to the royal family. Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, said the duke "consistently put the interests of others ahead of his own and, in so doing, provided an outstanding example of Christian service."
The Queen honored her husband by having the flag at the Buckingham Palace lowered to half-mast. A notice was also posted on the gates of the palace announcing his death. People honored the duke by placing flowers outside the palace and crowds have started gathering at Windsor Castle.
Last month, he had a "successful" heart procedure. "The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital," the palace said in a statement, as per NBC News. "His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days," they added.
Finally, when the prince was leaving the hospital, the Buckingham Palace said the duke was discharged "following treatment for an infection and a successful procedure for a pre-existing condition," as per BBC. "His Royal Highness wishes to thank all the medical staff who looked after him... and everyone who has sent their good wishes," the statement said. The duke had left the hospital in a wheelchair and was helped into the rear passenger seat of a car.
Prince Harry hadn't seen his grandfather since leaving the UK last year. It is unclear if he will travel to the UK to visit his family. The rest of the royal family are in the UK and likely saw him in his last days.
Cover image source: Getty Images | Photo by Jeff Spicer